Matthew H. CarawayAttorney
As a trial lawyer at Sam C. Mitchell & Associates, Matt Caraway is focused on helping the victims of negligence. His goal is to use his knowledge and talents to aggressively seek results against negligent people, companies, and insurance agencies in the states of Illinois and Missouri in both state and federal court.
His previous experience includes defending Fortune 500 companies against injury suits, as well as handling maritime and railroad cases, with a large St. Louis firm.
Matt was born and raised in West Frankfort, IL to a family with a history in the coal and rail industries. He and his wife Kate, an elementary school teacher, are die-hard Cardinals fans and enjoy concerts, entertaining, and movies.
Matt also enjoys hunting waterfowl and is a member of Ducks Unlimited.
When the September 11th terrorists attacks struck, Matt, then 18 and a freshman at Eastern Illinois University, was compelled to enlist with the Illinois Air National Guard. He served for seven years, becoming Staff Sergeant in Operation Enduring Freedom in the Middle East.
For his service, Matt was awarded:
- Outstanding Airman of the Year 2004
- Basic Training Honor Graduate
- Expert Marksman (M-16/M-4)
- Hometown Hero in the Air Force in 2007
After returning from the Middle East, he interned with the Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Office at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida before being honorably discharged in 2008.
- State of Illinois
- State of Missouri
- Southern District of Illinois Federal Court
- Eastern District of Missouri Federal Court
University of Illinois, JD
Magna Cum Laude
- Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
Eastern Illinois University, B.A. in History and Pre-Law
Magna Cum Laude
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Southern Illinois American Inn of Court
- Franklin County Bar Association
- Lion’s Club