Aggressive Driving Accident Lawyers in Illinois
Injured By an Aggressive Driver? We Can Help
Driving is a skill that requires absolute focus and a calm mind. When vehicles share the road, mutual safety is only possible when everyone acts respectfully and follows local traffic laws. When drivers become frustrated, anxious, or angry, they may start engaging in aggressive driving behaviors and experience “road rage.” This is, unfortunately, a common occurrence for American drivers. In fact, according to the American Automobile Association, aggressive driving is a contributing factor in 50% of all traffic fatalities.
If you’ve been injured in an accident due to the deliberate actions of an aggressive driver, contact the Illinois aggressive driving accident attorneys at Sam C. Mitchell & Associates. When you come to our office for a consultation, our experienced lawyers can review your case and develop a strategy aimed at maximizing your claim. Our firm has represented over 3,700 clients in personal injury cases and we have recovered more than $200 million in damages on their behalf.
What Is Aggressive Driving?
The unfortunate truth is that most car collisions are preventable. When a driver behaves negligently, it increases the risk of an accident. Aggressive driving is particularly dangerous because anger compels drivers to make poor choices and intentionally disregard the safety of others. What separates aggressive driving from general negligence is that the actions are equally deliberate and careless.
Examples of aggressive driving behaviors include:
- Weaving through traffic
- Changing lanes without signaling
- Yelling or honking unnecessarily at other drivers
- Running red lights
- Blocking other vehicles from changing lanes
- Intentionally antagonizing other drivers
- Bumping another vehicle
When someone is injured by an aggressive driver, they may require expensive and even long-term medical treatments. Depending on the severity of their injuries, they may also need to take time off work. A successful personal injury lawsuit can award damages that may alleviate the financial burden caused by excessive medical bills and lost wages.
How to Deal with Road Rage
Because road rage is so prevalent, you’re bound to be on the receiving end of another driver’s anger at some point. How you react to the situation can make all the difference, both in your own safety and well-being and that of everyone else on the road. Remember: it is always best to remain calm. Never escalate the situation; instead, continue driving as safely and defensively as possible.
If confronted with an aggressive driver, do the following:
- Remain Calm and Avoid Escalation: Even if another driver cuts you off or honks at you, do not engage. Simply ignore the aggressive driver and refrain from honking back, tailgating, gesturing at the other driver, or otherwise reacting in an angry or aggressive manner.
- Ensure Your Own Safety: If you feel threatened by the aggressive driver, make sure your doors are locked and safely move over or out of the way; putting as much distance as you can between yourself and the aggressive driver can help ensure you remain safe.
- Avoid Eye Contact: If an aggressive driver is attempting to get your attention by yelling at you, gesturing at you, honking, etc., avoid making eye contact, as this can escalate the situation. Do your best to put distance between yourself and the other driver.
- If Needed, Find a Safe Place to Stop: Do not simply pull over to the side of the road, as the aggressive driver may follow you and attempt to escalate the situation. You should also avoid going home if the other driver is following you. Instead, find a safe place to stop, such as a gas station or police station. If the other driver does follow, do not get out of your car. Instead, honk your horn to attract attention.
- Contact Police, If Necessary: If the aggressive driver is putting your safety and the safety of others at risk, or if he/she is following you, safely call 911 or contact local police for assistance. If possible, note the other driver’s vehicle information, such as the make/model and license plate number.
Your safety is the most important thing. Remember that road rage is not personal—keeping this fact in mind can help you remain calm during a road rage incident and help ensure your own safety.
File Your Claim Today
Call Sam C. Mitchell & Associates if you’ve been injured by an aggressive driver and want to file a personal injury claim. Our Southern Illinois aggressive driving accident attorneys have over a century of collective legal experience. With our combined knowledge and resources, we have developed innovative litigation techniques that have helped countless clients successfully pursue justice and compensation.
Free Initial Case Evaluations
You Pay Nothing Unless We Win
Over 3,700 Cases Handled
Committed to Integrity Above All Else
Over $200 Million Recovered for Our Clients
Over a Century of Combined Legal Experience
Burn Victim $24,000,000
House explosion involving a gas leak causing serious and permanent injuries to the occupants.
Auto Accident $9,000,000
Auto accident involving permanent injury to a mother and her unborn child.
Trucking Accident $2,500,000
Trucking accident which results in permanent injury to the client.
Auto Accident $2,500,000
JURY TRIAL VERDICT - A box truck pulled out in front of our client’s vehicle, resulting in a T-bone crash. Our client sustained serious injuries to his neck and left shoulder.
Slip & Fall $1,050,000
Woman slipped and fell over a parking block at a local restaurant in Nashville, IL. She was left with a broken hip and a long recovery.
Auto Accident 920,000
A man was sheading south on RT 45 in Saline County when TT slowed to make a turn and was rear-ended. Our client suffered injuries to his neck and shoulders. Justice was served for our client.
Auto Accident $875,000
Client was stopped at a red light in O'Fallon when another vehicle failed to stop rear-ending our client. He sustained injuries to his neck, low back and leg.
Auto Accident $750,000
JURY TRIAL VERDICT - Jury verdict in favor of our client who was injured in an intersection crash in Herrin, IL. Before the trial, the defendant’s insurance company withdrew all settlement offers and offered our client $0. Justice was served with a trial verdict of $750,000.
Pedestrian Accident $650,000
Client was struck on the head by a tree branch being cut by the defendant, leaving our client unconscious. He suffered a severe brain injury as a result.
Auto Accident $600,000
A woman was violently rear-ended in Marion, IL and sustained injuries to both of her knees from striking the dashboard and an injury to her foot.