Top Work-Related Injury Causes
According to the National Safety Council, the top three leading causes of work-related injuries – overexertion and bodily reaction, contact with objects and equipment, and slips, trips, and falls – account for more than 85% of all nonfatal injuries.
Overexertion Injuries & Bodily Reaction
In 2016, overexertion injuries and bodily reaction accounted for 33.67% of all non-fatal injuries and results in 300,420 total injuries. Some of these injuries would include:
- Non-impact injuries - would include lifting, pushing, turning, holding, or carrying.
- Repetitive motion: any job that requires to put stress or strain on some part of the body in a repetitive nature. Common work activities would include: typing, texting, and repetitive use of tools.
- Injuries and illnesses resulting from single or prolonged stance such as bending, crawling, or climbing.
Contact with Objects and Equipment
In 2016, contact with objects and equipment accounted for 26.11% of all non-fatal injuries and resulted in 232,940 total injuries. Some of these injuries would include:
- A moving object hitting a worker.
- A worker striking against an object or equipment.
- Part of a worker’s body being squeezed, pinched, compressed, or crushed in equipment.
- A worker being hurt by a collapsing structure, equipment, or material.
- A worker being injured as a result of friction between the person or source of injury.
- Injury from a vibration.
Slip, Trips, and Falls
In 2016, slips, trips, and falls accounted for 25.69% of all non-fatal injuries and resulted in 189,660 total injuries. Some of these injuries would include:
- When a worker catches himself or herself from falling.
- Falling on the same level.
- Falling to a lower level – includes falling from a collapsing structure, falling through surfaces, and falling from ladders, roofs, etc.
By state law, all employers in Illinois must carry insurance to pay for injuries incurred by employees while on the job. If you have been involved in a serious accident while performing work-related duties, we understand that you could be left reeling in the wake of such a serious life event. If you or someone you love has been involved in a workplace accident, or if you are seeking financial damages after being involved in a work-related accident, speak with our firm at 618-505-1660.