Tips for Driving Safely this Memorial Day Weekend
Despite being an occasion for remembrance and honoring the fallen, Memorial Day weekend is one of the deadliest holidays for car accidents across the nation. AAA predicts nearly 43 million Americans will travel via road trips this year, extending driving times to 3 times longer than usual. The outpouring of vehicles naturally results in heavier traffic, aggressive driving behaviors, and an increased number of accidents and fatalities.
Our firm advises all weekend travelers to consider the following safety tips, including:
- The influx of vehicles means you must exercise more caution than usual. Share the road, keep your distance from the vehicle ahead of you, buckle up, and drive slowly.
- Watch out for drivers under the influence by avoiding vehicles that are driving recklessly or erratically. If you consume any alcohol, utilize a ride-sharing service or designate a sober driver.
- Distracted driving is a leading cause of accidents and traveling with family or friends can sidetrack your attention away from the task at hand. If you are responsible for driving, take breaks when you can and keep your focus on the road.
- Avoid travel during traffic-heavy times. Memorial Day weekend traffic is impossibly busy though you can avoid the congested roads by timing your travel as necessary.
- Plan ahead with a backup plan that includes alternate routes to avoid construction or other roadblocks.
- Remember, you are responsible for vehicle maintenance. Your car has to be safe for travel before you hit the road.
To learn more about AAA’s findings and its Memorial Day Travel forecast, click here.
Experienced Legal Advocates Proudly Serving the Injured Throughout Southern Illinois
At Sam C. Mitchell & Associates, we understand the stress and anxiety associated with an unexpected accident or injury, and our results-driven legal team strives to resolve your concerns as effectively as possible. After an accident, look no further than our skilled and passionately devoted Southern Illinois injury lawyers.
We are ready and willing to fight for you. Contact us by calling (618) 505-1660.